Наша главная героиня (Рейнн Николс) только что переехала в Нью-Йорк со своей матерью после того, как ее отец растворился в воздухе. Оставшись с немногим большим, чем зарплата, на которую можно жить, и сломанным грузовиком, чтобы перевозить их, наша главная героиня вырвана из своего дома, а теперь и бывшего парня, вынуждена жить в мотеле на другой стороне Большого Яблока. Здесь она встречает нашего другого главного героя (Логана Нокса), рыжеволосого гитариста и члена-основателя практически неизвестной инструментальной металкор-группы "Мы были просто детьми". Состоит из него самого, басиста Джейсона Батлера и барабанщика Рейгана Ли. То, что начинается с того, что наш главный герой присоединяется к группе на лету для школьного шоу талантов, быстро превращается в квартет, оказавшийся в центре внимания секса, наркотиков, музыки, славы, любви и, возможно, смерти.
Не все так, как кажется на первый взгляд. Искажение музыки, отсутствие баланса в динамике власти индустрии и соблазны славы - все это проверяет единство группы, поскольку прошлые отношения возвращаются, чтобы преследовать наших главных героев. Смогут ли они выдержать жар прожектора или давление внезапной славы? Могут ли наши главные герои действовать сквозь сорняки? Или они рухнут, как многие до них?
- There's 205 or so updated/upgraded renders here. Including new animations for all of the sex scenes. Further on the note of animations, some may be a bit wonky, as I've been experimenting with keyframes and speeds between them in regard to sex. You'll probably notice a bit of it in the Lukas/Veronica bathroom blowjob bathroom scene and/or the facial portion of it. All that said, I feel like I've got a stronger hold on animations because of it. I don't expect those kinds of issues to show up in any other release. Funny enough, this segues perfectly into the next point quite well:
- I've come across a way to turn Camera Raw/XMP files into LUTs for Premiere. This will result in less of a noticeable color shift between animations and still renders pre and post-animation. There's still going to be a bit of it due to color space differences (I believe, could've easily changed in newer version of Ren'py.), but it should be far less noticeable in the early scenes.
- Code is now to my liking. This should be the final forced restart going forward, short of the unlikely event that something essential needs to be changed.
- The Sports bar scene with Lukas/Veronica is now entirely skippable with all but two questions needing to be answered. I've gone over it before, but it was a bad writing choice that's too late to fix at this point. So, breaking the fourth wall or not, at least you have the option to never see it again. The option to skip oral sex (unless you pull out) can be avoided, as well.
- The Logan Intro scene early on has been updated with a couple of extra renders, and sprinkle of foreshadowing.
- Park scene with Rainn/FMC and Reagan has been somewhat rewritten and shortened. Plays on the same sub/dom tendencies as the original, but is largely more of a small infodump for Reagan. I am aware of the render dimension issue at the end of the scene, will be fixed in the next update.
- As said at the end of the update, I'll be taking a short break to finish up Move The Chains and get it out, then I'll decide on a schedule between both VNs. I'll, of course, update Patreon before and after I make said decision. That said, there may be another update coming soon with smaller, non-immediate adjustments like the normalization of the audio and the credits page.
- Fix for crash on startup.
There is very little new content in 0.3a. As already mentioned, 0.3a and 0.03b will be reworking the original release of We Were Just Kids.
- As mentioned in the previous update post, 0.3a was made up of small rewrites (specifically within the school early on and the pre-barber scene where I've decided to introduce someone that'll show up later) and just straight re-renders from the original release. That amount ended up being around 160 or so renders. Not much else to add here.
- I fixed the audio/song name error(s) that was causing a traceback (though I don't believe it was causing the VN itself to crash at all, so not really a true 'fix', but the point remains.). I've also fixed the typo causing Veronica to pop up while Vick (pointless side character) was talking, I believe. I believe that was the only one, but could've missed more. Let me know if you spot any/any possible others. Would be much appreciated.
- Please be aware that due to the way I'm splitting this update, there's going to be some inconsistencies in the locations and how they look. For example, the scene where Reagan knocks on the female protagonist's door is still using the old motel room, but earlier on it showers the newer one. There's a few like that, iirc. Obviously, that won't last.
- As a side note: I believe I've removed the original renders of scenes that've been re-rendered in 0.3a, but it's certainly possible that I may've missed a few. If you catch one, or think you may have, feel free to point it out to me.
- 0.3b will be the meat of the rework. Unlike this update, it'll break the previous saves (hopefully for the final time.) as I'll be reworking a scene or two that involves said code being changed. Along with that, there'll be a new credit page for the music, completely normalized music/audio levels, and possibly a page for all those supporting We Were Just Kids.
- Lastly, none of these have been play-tested thoroughly and Android was being a bit of a problem child. Let me know if you have some issues, preferably with some kind of screenshot/log file and/or description of when/where/how it's happening. I'll see what I can figure out. But from what I played everything seemed to be fine.
v0.3 A note for anyone planning to review/critique the first part of the VN: The first three chapters (443 renders or so, iirc) are being re-rendered as I'm typing this. Better quality, far better lighting, and just the general touchups that've come with a better understanding of Daz over the months. Some of the early sex scenes will be either outright removed or rewritten. As already mentioned, this will likely come in two updates. 0.3a and 0.3b (and possibly 0.3c, if needed.). 0.3a will be made up of new renders that don't need to have the scenes rewritten. 0.3b will be made up of renders that had their scenes rewritten. Both versions will rework the audio normalization levels, as well. That's all I wanted to note, though. Onto the actual changelog.
- 547 Renders, 6 animations (for 1 scene.). 2,465 lines of code and dialogue. I'm too lazy to separate that, not even gonna attempt it.
- All Music and SFX should be/are significantly louder for 0.3. Adjust your audio accordingly. They've all been normalized as well. I can't account for every and any speaker out there, so you should probably start out lower and work out a volume that works for you. Working with Audition is making my life a shit ton easier as far as audio goes. All music is going to be redownloaded, normalized, and altered as needed throughout the reworking. As an aside on 0.1 and 0.2, I just realized that I did show the original hotel room again 0.2. There's likely going to be some level of inconsistency with those scenes, but I'll cross that road when I get to it.
- Fixed issue with choices and following responses not registering (Reagan park scene, Leigh, etc). An oversight on my part. I had already packaged 0.2, noticed the issue later and fixed it, and thought I had re-packaged 0.2 with the fix on it before uploading it. I got a few reports and tried to replicate the issue people were having, but wasn't getting it. Reason why was because I'd already fixed it, but everyone else had the version missing it. Big thanks to Hordragg for both pointing the issue out and thus helping realize what was happening, along with helping clean up the code a bit! Might've already mentioned it somewhere else, but would like to thank m0us3r for point out some typos that I (inevitably) missed along with a bit of code that made it easier to hit the start button as it was likely giving some users trouble.
- I've gotten all the typos I could find after multiple passthroughs, and I've gone through most of the branching choices and didn't notice anything out of place. However, if you notice something or find a missed bug/choice/option/etc, please don't hesitate to comment here, DM me on Twitter or anywhere else you can contact me.
- Have a new main menu video/screen. Will likely start fixing up the menu image buttons, as well. Will likely take off the help/option buttons on the main menu, as well. Was thinking silver with a hint of blue over them. I'm also (clearly) enjoying the use of AE/PP in some of these renders.
v0.2: - Fixed a few typos, rephrased some weird sounding sentences, and cleaned up some more potential consistency issues leftover from the last release. Volumes of some music and/or sound effects have been lowered/altered, as well.
- Gave the option to rename Luke/Lukas as some found the name confusing in conjunction with Luca.
- I've resized the smaller text meant to imply quiet talking and/or whispering, but I do like the effect. Android users may still have an issue reading it, but it's kind of one of those rock in a hard spot type of things. I'll see if there's anything I can do specifically for Android versions that one mess with the PC/Linux/Mac versions.
- In continuation of the previous point: I've changed the name and dialogue fonts. The latter not being all too different from Ren'py's default type. Slightly thinner, slightly more modern, but not too different nonetheless. For the name fonts, I decided on something with a little more personality. Though, if there's enough people having problems with it, then I'll go back to something simpler. On the topic of fonts: there's a corrupted (or perhaps better said 'discombobulated') looking font at a certain point in thee release. There's nothing wrong with your system or the build/download. This was done on purpose to represent not listening, since I couldn't find any blurry/neater non-readable fonts to use. Kind of the best option in a lack of selection. Feel free to pass on a better public domain/commercial-free option, though. I'm just not going to pay ludicrous prices for a font license.
- A few GUI changes. In place of a more aesthetically pleasing dialogue/text box, I've added a transparency slider for those that would like to be rid of the black blob taking up nearly half of the renders (as mentioned, credit for that goes to LightmanP(/TheWarehouse) for the help with that). Choices have been moved from the middle-left of the screen to the bottom-center, just above the textbox. Also, a new splash screen and 'animated' start menu (not technically animated, but made with a wiggle effect in After Effects with a dust particle video overlay'd.). There's also a couple scenes near the end using the same effect without those particles. Mostly for experimentation, but I think they turned out pretty cool, tbh.
- 550~ish new renders, some 2,500-odd new lines of code and dialogue. No, I'm not going to count each one and separate them. Proofread twice, though I'll guarantee I still missed some obvious stuff floating around. Animations are being worked in now, as well. Both sexual scenes in this release include animations. Good ones? I'll let you be the judge of that. But the first three in the first scene have some clear quality/looping issues (mentioned in a previous progress report (one loops fine, but has a flickering issue. Dunno what's causing it, though. Maybe on Ren'py's side?). The other animations in the following scene are higher quality and loop better (for the most part, as one or two still have that flicker, iirc.). They aren't fantastic, but I don't think they're bad enough to ruin the overall experience either. They'll get better over time, for sure.
(Refer to Developer Notes for more, but less relevant info.) :)
v0.1: Initial Release. About 450 or so actual renders, not including random images used for image buttons, menus, etc. Probably should've compressed everything prior to uploading, will be done for the next release.